Saturday, June 6, 2009

Under Construction




Not the blog. Me.

I am an unfinished project, a building still in the planning phase.

Never bothered me before. I have always had someone to depend on, first my father, then my husband, who would help me out. They would always be there to help me out, always ready to defend me. I was comfortable in the knowledge that they would place themselves in danger, if it came to that, to spare me.

I am lucky. I know, and this is in no way meant to belittle that commitment in them.

Then I started reading cop blogs and survivalist blogs. And I realized, not only their commitment is not returned (Duh! 'Cause I'm a girl, and girls don't have to come to the rescue.) but my attitude itself might put me in dangerous situations. Being protected is no reason for me to neglect my education.

I can't drive. I can't shoot a gun. Don't like to cook and the green thumb eludes me in potted plants. I do alright with plants on the ground, but I am living in an apartment and I don't even have a balcony. Suddenly I realized if there was a crisis or crime I was a sitting duck. Yikes!
I need to get prepared fast.

Carlos found this change in me a bit bewildering, I think. But he is a very laid back man and he allows me my crazy times, so as long as I don't buy myself a milk goat to keep in the kitchen, he is cool with all of this.

Anyways, I devised a plan to make myself into a more self-sufficient person.
First I need to drive. Working on it.
This will free more options for me later on.

I am searching for a house with land to homestead. Not too much land, I plan on urban-homesteading. Right now I live in a metropolitan area, near the bus routes, at the very axis, almost. If I don't drive, I remain constrained to this area, where I will pay premium prices for a small ugly house in a bad neighborhood. Once I have my own method of transportation, I will be able to choose almost any part of the island, so I will be able to get more land for less money.

I plan on getting a gun and learning how to use it. My husband is not comfortable at all with this part, but I think it's important. I will wait until I have my driver's license, though, because it is a matter of escalation. I don't want the gun if I can't handle myself with a stupid car.

Then comes the homesteading thing, and this is not as time and work intensive in Puerto Rico as in the United States. Here things grow all on their own. Spit a seed and you will have a giant beanstalk in a matter of days.

And classes. I want to take first aid classes and learn how to take care of things. But this is a while down the road, I know. Carlos does not have the time to take me to all these places and do all of these things, so everything depends on the driver's license.

For the moment I am working on my cooking. Storing food and water, just in case, because we just entered the hurricane season. There will be no takeout then, so I am trying to master a few recipes before then. My husband happily wolfs down whatever I put on his plate, so we make a good working pair.

First steps first, no?

Step one - cooking delicious food.

Step two - getting my wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment