Tuesday, June 9, 2009

On the news...

The latest topic in PR is our suicide rate.

Well, that and the gay penguins adopting a chick.

But I want to talk about this suicide thing, 'cause I suspect the penguins are getting more media coverage than they want.

Anyways, according to Primera Hora, after the mass layoffs were announced, the Linea PAS hotline started getting about a 25% increase in calls every month. Oh, holy Sherlock! Do you think it might be related?

Then the Suicide Prevention Commission announces their new campaign.

Last campaign was called NO TE QUITES or Do Not Remove Yourself. The first time I heard it I thought they were kidding.

After the mass of factors that push a human being to despair, to consider the unspeakable act, to condemn themselves to hell for all eternity (this being a mainly Catholic country) and all they have to say to say was Do Not Remove Yourself?

And I imagined the would-be-suicide asking back: " Why? Why the bother, why the pain, why the emptiness and the sense of being a failure? Why should I be made to withstand that which is beyond my will to withstand? Why shouldn't I remove myself?"

Would they have an answer for him?

The new campaign is called I Love Life 24/7. I think it is even worse than the last one. This one does not even invite dialogue. The would-be-suicide could just mutter "good for you" and continue adjusting the noose. How is that supposed to be helpful?

Blah! I am not a suicide apologist. I am not the one to push the suicidal guy off the bridge. But I do believe that when to end your life is a personal desicion and one we are not entitled to make for him.

Put a safety system in place! By all means, do. Hot lines and support groups and stupid ad campaings. Go ahead and try to save some lives!

But do not try to hide the fact that there is sometimes more dignity in a death you have chosen yourself than in a life lived against your will.


____________________________________________

As a little side note, the article noted that 90% of successful suicides are men. Women make more attempts, but they usually survive. Why is that?

Basic MO

  • Suicidal female: will clean the house, take a bath, wash her hair, shaves her legs, perfumes herself. She puts on something that she knows will look good on her. After she has made sure that she will look good, she swallows half a bottle of sleeping pills or cuts her wrists
  • Suicidal male: Shoots himself in the head and fuck the clean-up!




No comments:

Post a Comment