Friday, May 29, 2009

SCARE

I got the scare of the year yesterday.

My husband usually picks me up from work, but he is also what we could call " congenitally retarded". Not as in dumb, I mean he is late for everything. Eeeeeeverything.

He goes out of work 4 hours before I do. So he goes home and falls asleep. I end up stranded. I have begged rides from almost everyone at work.

So, the other day he is not there to pick me up. He is not taking his phone. I figure, he's asleep and beg a ride.

When we are a few streets from home, I receive a call from my Father-in-Law. He and my husband work at the same place, in the same department, in different buildings but both buildings are facing each other. They cannot sneeze without the other learning all about it. " Hey, your son just sneezed. Is he ok?"
Anyways, so he calls me and asks me : " Hey Kiki, how is Carlos doing?"
"Sleeping, I think. I'm not home yet. What do you mean?"

He proceeds to tell me of how Carlos felt a sharp pain in his chest at around 10am, the paramedics were called, they took his pressure and vitals, and they rushed him to the hospital where they were checking his heart. That is the last thing he knows.

I promise to call him as soon as I get home.

My co-worker leaves me a few streets from home, and that has been the weirdest walk in my life. It was the slowest and the fastest one. It felt slow 'cause I need to get there NOW, and it is all I can do not to run like the dickens. It felt fast 'cause I saw nothing, I walked completely immersed in my head, did not experience the road.

I get home. His car is there so they let him go from the hospital and he must be allright. Right?

So why is my hand shaking?

He was sleeping.

Turns out the pain in his chest was muscular, caused by stress. They made a whole battery of tests and he was perfectly healthy. But they gave him a shot of muscle relaxant and that made him sleepy. He forgot to call me. Sorry.

But he had called his father and told him he was alright. He just omitted that part from his report. Arghhhh!

And then Carlos asks me, with a smug look on his face, enjoying this already : "Were you worried?"

"No way. I spent the walk home thinking how much money I could get by selling your stuff. I get home full of hopes and you have the bad manners to be alive! What a spoilsport!"

No comments:

Post a Comment