Friday, January 8, 2010

Tropical Wiccan

I have for a time considered myself a Wiccan.
Not much of a Wiccan, mind you, as I am not as observant of the rituals as I probably should be, but a Wiccan nonetheless.
The biggest problem I have is the matter of location and regionalism. All hte books and info I find on Wicca are related to European pantheons and seasons. And you know, their seasons and our seasons are not really interchangeable. Their version is taught in our schools: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter. They even illustrate it for elementary kids with the usual pictures of red leaves and white snow.
But, really, it is summer here all the year! The only real change is the amount of rain you get.
Our seasons look more like this: Rain Season, Storm Season, Second Rain Season, and "Dry" Season (not that dry).
Hard to pray for the return of the sun, when the AC has to be On or you would melt in a puddle.
So, I feel I have to find a way to mold my religion into my environment for it to work.
I have turned my sight to the native gods:Yocahu, Maquetaurie, Atabeira...
But I know so little about them, there are so few books...
And I know that there are groups out there that claim direct bloodlines from our Eyeri ancestors, and they practice rituals they claim are the same as the indians did.
I have my doubts.
And other politheistic tropical religions leave me feeling icky.
I am all for dancing in the moonlight around a bonfire, but as soon as you have to kill a goat, I lose all respect for you and your religion . Go fuck yourself and leave the goat alone.
And I suppose the tropical aspect of religion has something to do with this need for bloodshed. I think I read it in a Joseph Campbell book, that religions around the Equator tend to involve (human) sacrifices because in hte jungles, life feeds on life. Nothing has to be properly dead before something elsewill eat it. Thus, the idea that for life to continue, life must be spilled. Or else, the sun will not shine again.
You know, the Eyeris practiced human sacrifice too. There are eyewitness accounts of sacrifices by arrows, in which the victim is tied to a post, and a ring of dancers danced around it, and they shoot arrows at him, aiming for the genitalia and non-vital parts, to make the ritual last longer, until he expired.
Soooo not liking it!

And my question is, how far can you stretch a religion until it is something else entirely? How much can you reinterpret a myth, and a god/dess, before you are creating a new entity?
I don't want to worship Zoamel Gustav, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment